Ugly Duckling Bread & Butter Pudding
Not the prettiest of desserts (hence the ugly duckling part) but the taste is so good, it doesn’t really matter! And this is literally the easiest pudding you can make!
10 slices of white bread
3 cups of milk
1 cup of caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs granulated sugar
1) Grease your dish. (I use a 24cm x 19cm pyrex dish, but you may have something prettier to use!)
2) Spread butter and jam on 5 sandwiches (10 pieces of bread). I do not remove the crusts. A) Because I’m a bit lazy and B) Because I actually like the way the crusts go crunchy when baked! You can remove the crusts if you like. I won’t think less of you 😉
3) Cut the sandwiches into 4 triangles.
4) Arrange them so they slightly overlap in your dish. (They should be pretty squashed together!)Make your custard, by whisking together the milk, caster sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs.
5) Pour the custard over your sandwiches, making sure every bit of the bread is covered.
6) Leave the pudding to rest for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Or, if you are being super organised, this can be made the night before and left in the fridge.
7) Before baking, allow the pudding to come to room temperature (I allow at least 40 minutes).
8) Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar and a few dots of butter.
9) Bake for approximately 45 minutes at 190 degrees or until the top is golden brown.
9) Serve straight from the oven with custard or ice cream!
Note: This dessert can easily be made DAIRY FREE. I often make this with soya milk instead of regular milk and sunflower margerine instead of butter and it works perfectly!
Extra Note: Try this dessert with Nutella instead of jam!! It’s AMAZEBALLS (my new slightly overused favourite word!)