Triple Chocolate Scones
Triple chocolate scones may well make you forget that plain scones ever existed! A delicious twist on the traditional scone that are sure to be a perfect addition to any tea party table! (Note: This is not the same recipe as in the Bake With Suzy Triple Chocolate Scone Baking Kit.)
225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
50g caster sugar
50g dark chocolate
50g butter (cold)
90g mixed chocolate chips or chunks
1) Preheat your oven to 220 degrees and put a large baking tray to the side for later.
2) Measure your flour into a bowl and add your salt.
3) Add the sugar to the bowl.
4) Melt your chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts until fully melted. Check after each ‘nuking’! Stir carefully (make sure your spoon is not wet as it will cause the chocolate to seize up).
5) Add the butter to the bowl.
6) Pour the melted chocolate over the butter.
7) Measure 90g of mixed dark, milk and white chocolate chips or chunks (I like to use mainly milk and white as I have a VERY sweet tooth!!) Do NOT add them to the mixture just yet!
8) Add a little of the milk and using your hands, start to form a dough. Keep adding milk until a sticky soft dough is formed. You may not need to use all of the milk and even if you add too much milk, you can always add some more flour!
9) Pour in the mixed chocolate chips or chunks and fold them into the dough.
10) Roll the dough into balls and put them on an ungreased baking tray. I manage to fit 12 on a tray and I can make between 12 and 15 with this recipe.
11) Bake the scones in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the tops are springy!
12) The scones are best served warm from the oven and I love them when topped with either peanut butter or cream cheese!
Note: These scones are extremely soft, so do not worry if they crumble a bit when sliced!
Extra Note: If you don’t like to get your hands dirty when mixing the dough – invest in a box of disposable gloves…..I admit it…..I wear gloves. I just don’t want to ruin my nails!