Hidden Oreo Cupcakes
I call these Valentines Cupcakes, but lets face it, sometimes we don’t need an excuse to make cupcakes! Saying all that, if the one you love wants to make you cupcakes for Valentines, then who am I to stand in the way of cake love?
1 packet of Oreos
140g caster sugar
2 Tbs milk
120g self-raising flour
465g icing sugar
4 Tbs milk
6 Oreo cookies
1) Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
2) Fill a muffin tray/deep fairy bun tray with muffin/large cupcake paper cases.
3) Pop an oreo cookie in the bottom of each paper case.
4) Measure your butter and sugar into a bowl and beat them together using an electric mixer, if you have one. If not, you are going to need to use some elbow grease!!
5) Once they are mixed and thick, set the bowl aside.
7) Pour the eggy milky mixture into the sugary buttery mixture…and mix!
8) Add in the flour and beat together until you have a thick custard consistency (this will not take long to get to – be careful not to over beat!!)
10) Put the tray into the oven for 22-25 minutes. The tops of the cakes should be springy to touch and a light golden colour.
11) Let the cakes cool for 5 minutes in the tray, before transferring them to a wire rack or cake plate. Wait until they are completely cool before you ice them!
Method for the frosting:
1) Using your electric mixer/elbow grease beat the butter until it is thick and creamy.
2) Measure the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl and sieve a third at a time into the butter.
3) With each addition of icing sugar and cocoa, add a tablespoon of milk.
4) Add the final tablespoon of milk and continuing beating the frosting until it is thick but spreadable (this takes about 3 – 5 minutes…if you don’t have a mixer, you will have great muscles at the end of this….!!)
5) Once the frosting is ready, put the oreo cookies in a sandwich bag and beat them with a rolling pin (or something else that you fancy beating them with) until they are fully crushed. Set aside.
6) Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cakes and decorate with the crushed oreo cookies.