Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Sandwich cookies are great fun to make and also fun to eat too!
100g light brown sugar
150g caster sugar
1 whole egg plus an extra egg yolk
300g plain flour
Jar of peanut butter
1) Measure the butter and brown sugar into a (microwavable) bowl together and put them in the microwave for 30 seconds and then set aside.
2) Measure your white sugar in a separate bowl and add your egg and egg yolk.
4) Mix in your melted butter and brown sugar.
5) Measure your flour and cocoa.
6) Add your flour and cocoa in 3 batches – stirring after each addition until you have a dough.
7) Cover your bowl with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight if you like!
8) 15 minutes before you remove the bowl from the fridge, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
9) Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
10) Remove the dough from the fridge.
11) Using your hands, carefully shape the dough into balls and slightly flatten them – try and make them as uniform in size as possible.
N.B. There is no raising agent in these cookies, so you can place them quite close together as they won’t spread!
12) Put them in the oven for 12-14 minutes. (Remember with cookies that they harden when they are out of the oven, so they should still be soft when you remove them!)
13) Once you have removed the cookies from the oven, transfer them immediately to a wire rack to cool.
14) Once cool (don’t worry, they don’t take long to cool) spread peanut butter on the flat side of a cookie and sandwich it together with another similar sized one!
15) Continue until all the cookies are sandwiched!
N.B. Of course you could sandwich these cookies with something else – Nutella, cream cheese, jam even….but we all know about my love of peanut butter and for me, this is the perfect filling!