Lemon Crumble Squares
Comforting lemony crumbly squares that are probably completely acceptable to eat for breakfast!
175g melted butter
175g caster sugar
75g jumbo oats
95g rolled oats
250g plain flour + 2 tbsp (for lemon curd)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 lemon – rind and juice
1 jar of lemon curd
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2) Set aside a tray bake tin. (I do not grease or line the tin as I find that the high butter content in the recipe means you don’t need to!)
3) Put the sugar and butter in a large bowl and cream together.
4) Add in the jumbo oats, rolled oats,flour and bicarb.
5) Mix together.
6) Add in the rind and juice of one lemon.
7) Mix together until you have a sticky crumble.
8) Put approximately 2/3 of the mixture into your traybake tin and press down so that the crumble is evenly spread and there are no holes or gaps. Set aside the remaining 1/3 of the mixture.
9) Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes, until it is light golden brown and slightly ‘puffed up’!
10) Keep the oven on, and in a bowl mix together the jar of lemon curd with the 2 tbsp of plain flour.
11) Carefully spread the lemon curd mixture onto the crumble, so that it covers the entire base.
12) Sprinkle the mixture that you had set aside, over the top of the lemon curd. It is absolutely fine if there are gaps in your sprinkly bits (!!!)
13) Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes.
14) The crumble squares are baked when the top is golden brown. The lemon curd should still have a bit of ‘wobble’ (It will set properly when it is out of the oven!)
15) Allow it to cool completely in the tin before slicing into squares.
Store these squares in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.